Visit HAU Site

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The OFW toilet paper saga

Posted by chris timbol

just read the story of a OFW working in Australia who allegedly quit his job after his employers repeatedly cited his ‘uncanny’ technique in cleansing himself with a bottle of water (to quote from the GMA’s website article) every time he uses their office Comfort room.

The problem was that he inadvertently always leaves behind wet toilet paper and scattered water on top of the toilet bowl which his “paranoid” work colleagues thinks traces of his poo containing bacteria might have stick around.

There is no avoiding situation like these when you’re in a foreign land. As different cultures and norms interact, there will always be misunderstanding no matter what. Doing what is acceptable or right they say is relative to what part of the globe you live. Eating dogs in the Philippine is generally accepted but is considered taboo in western countries.

As the case of one Pinoy kid in a school in Quebec where his manner of eating with a spoon and a fork was deemed “uncivilized” by the School head. I for one support the kid as I don’t see any reason why would anyone brand you as having “eating like a pig” for the simplest reason of using a spoon and a fork, besides I haven’t seen a pig eat with a spoon and fork in person…lol

Every time we have lunch at home, I let the kids eat using spoon and fork but I always eat using my hands no matter what the dish is (as the Americans say its ok to use your fingers when eating fried chicken) but if the “ulam” is “Bulalo” then that’s the time I used the spoon hehehe.

I only do this at home knowing I have the privacy and comfort of my family who knows our way of eating food. But when I’m at work or in restaurants I make sure I do what is expected. So If I’m in an Asian restaurant, I used the chopsticks, if in an Italian restaurant I used fork and knives. So what I’m trying to point out is the need to adjust if you’re living in a foreign land.

So in this case, pity the guy but I think his reasons for quitting his job because he felt he was discriminated because of his toilet practices was not warranted especially in the light of recession etc. I think it would have been better if he had adjusted to the way people used the toilet in Australia. Everybody knows that people in western countries don’t wash their ass every time they used the loo, that’s why they put carpet in their CR (comfort room).

I’m not saying that you need to change your beliefs and ways overnight, but what I’m saying is that in workplaces and public places where you interact with people from other countries, its best to follow what is acceptable and neutral, as they say “when in Rome, do what the Romans do.

I have to admit that I still used the concept of water and “tabo” (pronounced “taybo’) when I’m using the toilet but only when I’m in my house and not at work. I rarely used the washroom at work anyways but worst comes to worst, I don’t mind using tissue paper.

I’ve been to many pinoy houses in Canada and the states, and I’ve used their washrooms, for the most part they don’t have “tabo” anymore but rest assured somewhere tucked beneath the cabinets, there is one inside for you to use, no matter what people say, water cleans better than paper when it comes to toilet matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment